Monday, January 5, 2009

Long Update

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't really been keeping in touch lately. There's been quite a bit going on, getting ready for school to start and such. Tomorrow will be the first day of winter quarter, and none of our textbooks have arrived yet. They should get here soon, but hopefully they won't be delayed too long.

We were finally able to open out mailbox today! For those of you who don't know, for about 2 weeks me and Sam have been unable to check our mail. We lost the key, and when we finally acquired a new one, we had to wait for the landlord's assistant (the real landlord is hardly ever there) to tell the maintenance men to change the lock. Once the lock was changed, the key wouldn't turn in it (surprise surprise) so we spent the better part of a week trying to find out if the lock was frozen, or if they key simply didn't match the lock. Finally, we got sick of the girl in the office telling she would do all she could to help, and then not not acting on her words, so we called the maintenance men ourselves. They were extremely helpful, and looked at the lock right away, and then were kind enough to call us back and tell us what the problem was. It turns out, the lock wasn't frozen, there was just too much mail in there, and it was preventing the key from turning! They told us that they would inform the postman when he arrived, and would keep our mail in the office for us to pick up. Well, they didn't put the mail in the office, but when we went to check the box today, it opened and a bunch of Christmas cards and college letters came spilling out! I think from now on me and Sam won't even bother the landlord with our problems, we'll just go straight to the maintenance boys, they seem much more reliable!

It was nice to finally get our mail, but I recieved some bad news in it. Apparently my financial aid has been put on probation or something like that, so tomorrow when I get to school I need to talk to the F.A. office and see if they're still going to pay for my classes this quarter. If not, then I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop my classes, because there's no way I'll be able to pay for them on my own.

Well, that's about all for now. I need to keep cleaning, the house is still a complete mess from the aftermath of our New Years Party (which actually turned into more of a sleepover rather than a party since only 3 people showed up) so I need to finish that up before I go to bed. Wish me luck for tomorrow. Good night everyone!

P.S. I absolutely hate winter. The skin on my face has been getting really dry. It's red and itchy in a couple places too. I'm using a ton of lotion everyday, but it barely helps. I'm actually surprised that my hands aren't in worse condition. They usually get pretty bad around this time of year.

6 comments:

mywest said...

Key to the laundry, now key to the mail box lost and too much mail in the box...What else can go wrong???
Your learning the hard way...
Too bad I can't be there to show you the easier way, but sounds like you are learning. Call me if you need any help!!!!!
Love. DAD

Leah Z said...

Lucy:

BATH OIL

I had dry skin in Seattle, so you can imagine when I moved to Utah I thought I was going to crumble. Bath oil is the best, right before you go to bed.

For when you're on the go, I love Neutrogen's Norwegian hand cream -- the lotion used by Norwegian fisherman. Seriously.

Lucie said...

Dad: Trust me, many more things could go wrong! I seem to have been cursed with an uncanny ability to make thing worse for myself... Anyway, I may be learning the hard way, but at least I'm learning. Thanks for your support, I'll be sure to call if I need anything!

Leah: Wow, it's so great to hear from you! How's it feel to be a newlywed? I didn't know you had a blog. Thanks so much for the advice, my skin has been driving me crazy lately! I'll be sure to check around for that Norwegian hand cream, and pick up some bath oils for myself. They sound like just what I need!

♥Miya said...

If your GPA drops below a 2.0, the school will terminate your financial aid. But you're allowed two strikes, which is why they just put you on probation this semester. You get your aid, but you are still on probation, so make sure you study hard and pass all your classes this semester so they can remove the probationary status!

♥Miya said...

BTW, when you get out of the shower, PAT your face dry with a towel (rubbing a towel on your face will rip up skin and whatnot, adding to that scaly look) and while your bathroom is still nice and steamy, slather some face cream all over to trap in the moisture.

And you can't just go using any lotion on your face. Most lotions can make your face worse (I love Bath and Body Works, but their lotion actually tends to make my face get really red and dry). You need actual face cream. Ponds does some really nice stuff that you can pick up at WalMart (in the same shelf as all the acne and facewash stuff) for cheap.

Lucie said...

Miya: It wasn't my GPA that was the problem. My GPA was 3.0 in my Math class and 4.0 in my English. It's because I failed my art class, so I didn't get enough credits or something like that.

Thanks for the advice about the lotion. I know I should be using a lotion that's actually made for your face, but I had the Bath and Body Works stuff on hand, and didn't feel like getting anything else!