Saturday, January 24, 2009

New Job and a Birdie Parade!

I finally found a job, yay! Well, technically it's only a part-time job, since it's through the work-study program at school and they only allow you to work a majority of 19 hrs a week. So, I'll have to find another part-time job to work on the side, but at least I have something now! I'm working on the kitchen (hmmm this sounds a lot like highschool and the cafeteria job...) so I'll mainly be prepping food, but my boss said that the current barista will be leaving next quarter, so once he's gone, I'll probaby be able to get his job! I was supposed to start working on Friday, but the Head of Emplyment lady wasn't in her office, so she couldn't sign my work-study papers, but hopefully she'll be there on Monday.

In other news, I got a birdfeeder about a week ago (a late christmas present from mom, along with a new cell phone! Thanks mom!) and hung it out on the patio but was dissapointed when, day after day, no birds arrived to claim a free meal. I soon realized that their "hang out" spot was in the back of our apartment building, since there's a few bushes back there, and not as many people walk by. I was beginning to consider leaving a trail of food leading from their bushes to my patio, but decided against it. Finally today they came, and boy was there a lot of them! One bird must've discovered it, and then told all his little friends cuz there were tons of them out there fighting for a spot! The ones who couldn't fit on the feeder itself simply waitied down below for the other birds to fling out some seeds for them. They were so adorable! I'm afraid I may have embarrassed Sam because I made such a big deal about finally seeing birds on our patio. I can't help it, I get excited when I see animals, it always makes me happy! Heck, I freak out when a squirrel runs by while we're walking on campus! Maybe something's wrong with me!

5 comments:

mywest said...

Fantastisk!!!!
Glad to here about your job, yay!!!
Our tree outside the kitchen window has been overrun with little birds who swarm in, each one eating several of the red berries and within 10 seconds fly off. Then within a minute they come in for another attack. Then they must be off for another snack as it will be a couple hours before the next attack. It fun just watching them. Have a great day honey.
Love, DAD

Teachinfourth said...

Hopefully they won't be leaving a lot of little whitish-gray 'treasures' all over your porch.

Congrats on the new job...I'll expect a gourmet meal the next time I'm in town...after all, you'll have lots of expertise by then, right?

♥Miya said...

You're about as dorky as I am. I get excited about going to the dentist because they have huge windows and outside are a bunch of bushes and a birdfeeder, and there are TONS of little birds that come right up to the window and watch you get your teeth cleaned. LOL.

We have a birdfeeder that we've had hanging on our back porch for two years but no birdies use it, which makes me sad :( I'm not sure they can see it, but I'm still sad because we've got nowhere else to hang it. I think also after two years the food might have gotten a wee bit...stale.

shoezimm said...

Don't worry, I get excited watching birds too....I bought a bird feeder for the duplex and brought it to the new home but, with all of the snow I have yet to tramp into the backyard to hang it from our tree! There are already a flock of birds that show up in the mornings for a snack of frozen apples from the tree out back but they never hang around for long before flying off to find other food elsewhere.

Kathy said...

Well, whatever's wrong with you is the same as your mother!
I try not to look like I'm looking at all the animals I see while on the way to work. Tired of my carpool making fun of me for getting excited or commenting. You should have seen me last week. There were over 20 bald eagles in a tree just past the Blue Creek turnoff. It took me a sec to realize I was alone and could freak out in safety!